Pink Hope’s peer support programs offer increased risk women the opportunity to connect with other increased risk women in a safe and supportive environment either online or by telephone.
Pink Hope’s peer support programs include group support and telephone support.
Online Support Groups
Pink Hope’s Online Support Groups can be found on Facebook. These closed groups allow you to connect with other at increased risk people giving you the opportunity to give and receive peer to peer support. Members share their experiences and ask and answer questions gaining support and information from other at increased risk individuals.
How much and how often you wish to participate in these groups is your choice. Some members are very active while others less so. The groups are there for you to use in the way that provides you with the support you need.
Please note members are required to abide by the Group Guidelines which are published in each group.
The online support groups and the website were exactly what I needed. All those feelings that I had, that I was too scared to mention to anyone, were normal and my mind was at ease. Natasha
How to Join the Pink Hope Online Support Groups
- Select the Online Support Group/s you wish to join:
- Click join.
- Read the private message sent by the Group Administrator – Facebook may move this message to Message Requests or Filtered Requests. To find your Message Requests or Filtered Requests on your computer in Facebook click Messenger then the Settings icon (top left) and from the dropdown menu select Message Requests. You will then see any messages that have been put in Message Requests or Filtered Requests. To find Message Requests or Filtered Requests on your mobile phone in Messenger select the Settings icon (bottom right) and then select People and then Message Requests. You will then see any messages that have been put in Filtered Requests.
- Follow the instructions in the private message including registering with the Pink Hope database.
- Read and follow the Group Guidelines and enjoy sharing and supporting others.
For assistance joining the Online Support Groups or for further information please email the Pink Hope Programs Manager, Sue Jones, email@example.com.
Pink Hope offers one on one peer support to women who are at increased of breast and/or ovarian cancer via referring them to the Cancer Council Victoria’s Gene Connect program. This telephone based program allows women to be matched with a woman who has similar risk factors and has received training as a peer support provider.
I Wish to Receive Support
As part of the Gene Connect program you are able to receive support from another increased risk woman who has experienced a similar journey.
Cancer Council Victoria’s Gene Connect program is located in Victoria but is set up to facilitate support nationally. So wherever you are located in Australia you will be able to participate in the Gene Connect Program to receive peer support.
I Wish to Offer Support
As part of the Gene Connect program you are able to offer support to other increased risk women by sharing your personal experiences and listening to another woman’s feelings and concerns.
Cancer Council Victoria’s Gene Connect program is located in Victoria. Therefore to become a Gene Connect volunteer and provide support, you must be a resident of Victoria and are required to undertake training at Cancer Council Victoria. Training is scheduled on a needs basis.
To be able to offer support you need to meet the following requirements:
- Have been assessed by a Genetic Counsellor as at moderate to high risk of breast and ovarian cancer either due to family health history or a gene mutation.
- At least 24 months since receiving a risk assessment and/or genetic testing.
- At least 24 months since receiving cancer treatment (if a cancer survivor).
- Have developed and implemented a proactive strategy for your breast and ovarian health in conjunction with a qualified medical professional.
To apply simply complete the application form below and have a telephone conversation with the Pink Hope Programs Manager to confirm the information you have provided and clarify what you expect, and facilitate referral to Cancer Council Victoria’s Gene Connect program.